Thursday, July 13, 2006

Stewart Lee-90s Comedian

So here I am again, mere hours away from tonight’s edition of The Nasty Show. But rather than dwell too much on that, I felt I should recap a bit about last night’s show, Stewart Lee. To be honest, I wasn’t blown away by the content. Sure, he had some funny moments, but overall, I think his style takes some getting used to. Before last night, I was completely unfamiliar with him, but a visit to his website showed me that he’s had a pretty active career.

If I were to describe his style, I would say that he’s a storyteller with a deadpan delivery. He doesn’t use the usual rhythm I’ve gotten used to out of stand-up comedians, preferring to gradually coax the audience along. His jokes are pretty clever and, often times, he gets laughs from the audience anticipating the punch line. The problem is, the audience isn’t always clever enough to follow along. Or at least last night’s wasn’t. To his credit, he made an effort to make sure that he won over the whole audience. Whether he succeeded or not is open to interpretation…

So would I pay to see him again? Good question. I think I would give him the benefit of the doubt and go back to see a different show (obviously not last night’s content). After all, one can’t expect to hit a home run every at-bat, right? Well, that’s all for now. Tonight: the Nasty Show!

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"So would I pay to see him again? Good question."

I guess you were pretty lucky to ask that question of yourself to receive your own praise.

 
At 10:29 AM, Blogger Al B Here said...

Yes, most certainly. Hard to believe I had that sort of good fortune, eh?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home